Leica now offers semi-automatic functionality for its iXE3 3D excavator machine control solution.
The system automatically controls the boom, bucket, tilt and tiltrotator, which the company says allows for faster, more accurate digging. With the new semi-auto function, operators can select the individual automatic functions they want or any combination.
For instance, the operator can individually select auto boom control, auto bucket control, auto tilt control or auto rotation control or any combination of them, as needed.
The new solution is developed through the hydraulic controller and requires the installation of a hydraulic control unit. Leica says the 3D excavator machine control has these new functions:
- Auto functions are engaged by simply pulling the stick.
- Cross-cut surface protection prevents digging into other parts of the design surface.
- Automatic adjustment of bucket height to minimize over-excavation.
- Intelligent slope detection that automatically snaps to the correct slope of the surface under the bucket.
- Rotation controlled cross-cut that combines the auto bucket and the auto tilt functions to match the target surface regardless of the bucket rotation.
Leica says the semi-automatic functionality will be available first for these excavator models: Liebherr 924 and 926, Case 210 and 250, Doosan 255, Hitachi 210 and 300, John Deere 210 and 300. The company plans to eventually provide the system for other brands and machine classes.