The basement is an underground floor in a building which is usually below the ground floor. It is mostly used as a utility room. A basement can become moist and damp. In this post, you’ll find out why your basement is damp.
Your basement is used to store items that are not currently in use. Some of these items may include old furniture, plumbing and building tools or appliances which may still be useful.
Your damp basement is peculiar to you alone. It is pertinent you pay close attention to this so that it doesn’t get out of hand. It can cause architectural damage to your home. Besides, it can also lead to health problems.
HERE ARE FIVE REASONS WHY YOU HAVE A DAMP BASEMENT
- Cracks in the Building
Overtime, there can be cracks in your building. When it rains, moisture can seep through the cracks into the basement.
This will cause moisture in your basement as the water continually gets in.
- A leak in your Plumbing System
Sometimes, the problem may be from inside the home. A leaking pipe can cause dampness in your basement.
When this water leaks over time, it can cause considerable damage to your basement.
- Groundwater or Rain
Groundwater from your foundation can find its way into your basement, causing moisture in the basement floor. You’ll notice groundwater when you find that the floors are mostly wet.
This happens when warm moist air enters your basement, and it comes in contact with the walls and floors of the basement.
The cold walls and floors will then cool the warm air, which will lead to moisture and a damp basement.
- Laundry in the Basement
For those that do their laundry in the basement, the possibility of getting your basement damp is high, as the water from your laundry would moisten the basement.
Even if you use a dryer, it will focus most of the moisture on the walls of the basement. Thus causing it to condense and leading to a damp basement.
HOW TO GET RID OF A DAMP BASEMENT
- Consult a professional foundation repair company in Buffalo, NY.
- Where you have broken or leaking pipes, get a plumber to fix them.
- Your foundation must have basement waterproofing to prevent groundwater from getting into the basement. You can consult an expert to fix a basement waterproofing in your basement.
- Have a proper drainage system: This is also essential to note; an efficient and proper drainage system can help in getting your basement dry and clean.
- Installation of heat ducts: Heat ducts can help get rid of moisture. It can be installed in the basement; it is usually placed beneath the basement floors. It is a pretty efficient way of getting rid of moisture in your basement.
A damp basement is no good to anyone. It causes mold in the basement and can constitute health challenges.
Worse still, it doesn’t allow for good ventilation.
I hope the tips we have provided helps you get rid of your damp basement.